Friday, April 3, 2009

Wildlife and Cocktails


We spent Friday at the Living Desert - a wildlife and conservation refuge. It features wildlife and plants from deserts around the world. We spent five hours watching gila monsters, possoms, bat-earred foxes, caracal cats and every shape and size of cactus imagineable. Pretty amazing adaptations to survive very unfriendly conditions. We had a tram pass so could take a lift to the next section when the day started to heat up.

We noticed the wind starting up as we drove home and by the time we were making our way over to the neighbours for cocktails, the palm trees were really shaking.

After two and a half hours of drinking with denizens of the country club including a Joan Rivers lookalike, I announced I had to go home! I was feeling horrible but also felt I could only stay off my planet for so long or I might end up there forever!

In the meantime, the winds had been blowing like crazy in Palm Springs and there were power poles snapped and down on the highway and three homes on fire. We are in Palm Desert and the wind didn't reach the same level. We had driven through Palm Springs last night and passed hundreds of windmills spinning in the smog-filled valley. The highway is reported to be very dangerous and apparently trucks are often overturned by the wind.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about this sentence: 'I was feeling horrible but also felt I could only stay off my planet for so long or I might end up there forever!' Can you please extrapolate this sentiment. Perhaps you could take some pictures of these denizens and bring shame to my moniker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was more the conversation than anything I could capture in pictures although the Joan Rivers lookalike was really that - in looks and voice - You'll have to wait for a blow-by-blow description. LuvM

    ReplyDelete