Monday, April 6, 2009

Creatures of the desert





We met a lot of great little creatures on our walk in the desert. The little desert cotton-tail rabbit really did not want to be seen and disappeared in a hurry but the fringe lizards didn't believe we could see them and would stop and wait until we left them alone no matter how close we got.

The lizards are threatened because they only live in sand dunes which are disappearing. They have little ear and eye flaps to let them go below the surface to cool off and fringes on their feet to keep them up above the surface (a warm version of snowshoes). They also like to lift their feet, tail and body when standing still to keep the sand from burning.

3 comments:

  1. Hello you two!
    I couldn't see any of your posts until now!? Sorry to hear you've got a cold Mum! I guess at least you are in the land of citrus...
    Love all the photos so far - sounds like you are digging out the good bits of Palm Springs. But where's the neon bunny?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why? I'm finding the photo part a bit unfriendly - can't figure out how to label them but otherwise don't know why it would be different after today....
    My cold is getting better - and yes, it is probably helped by the citrus. We both eat at least one big grapefruit a day - picked off the tree outside the back door.
    The neon bunny is pictured in the first blog entry - it is pink at night - white during the day. It was a bit less than we imagined and in fact we drove right by it the first night. I keep meaning to get out there and take a picture at night but I would have to set up a tripod and Shirley might wonder what I am up to....

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear you're getting a bit better. I totally missed the bunny! I was envisioning some enormous vinyl statue that glowed neon turqouise for some reason... I can see that setting up a tripod might cause some weirdness. Thanks for the picture ;)
    All your photos are great actually - I've never blogged so I don't know how you label pics at all. Really nice to see what you guys are up to! xo

    ReplyDelete